Thursday, June 12, 2014

Employed again

Previously, I mentioned having to find a new job. Initially, at the request of my former boss, I declined to say what happened. However, since he is now publicly posting about it online, I see no reason to keep it quiet (I'm not even sure why he asked me to keep it a secret in the first place).

The owner of the firm decided to relocate to another state. This wouldn't have been so bad but for the fact that the employees were misled so that we would be on staff to cover the work and take care of the business while he took weeks of vacations & secretly planned his transition towards the move. Initially, we were told that they were purchasing another vacation home. Then, when he applied to be admitted to the Bar in that state, we were told that it was just to hopefully start picking up a few cases down there to ultimately lead to a two branch firm. Then, once he had everything lined up, we were told he was going to move...but that it would be a slow transition. Then, a few days after that revelation, he informed me that he was moving completely & I only had 6 weeks of employment left.

The problem with that is most companies don't even complete their hiring process in that amount of time. It also irritated me to finally find out that he had been planning this for quite some time before even starting the process of buying his new home. Relocating was the plan from the beginning, but he wanted us to work for him until the end. Needless to say, I feel rather used by this. I was stuck in his office, doing his job, while he took multiple vacations in the last few months, working for far less than my work was worth, because there was a promise of better things in the future. In fact, a few months prior, I had declined to apply for an excellent position with one of the tribes. Given my experience & references, I think I would have had a good chance of getting the job, but I didn't apply because I felt like I should be loyal to the plans we had been making for the firm. I won't make that mistake again.

I was able to find another job, which I started on Monday. So, I was only out of work for a week. It's not a bad job, but it's not my passion, so I'm looking at it as a temporary arrangement. I've still got some application in for some legal jobs, but those listings don't even close for a while, so they won't even start reviewing applications for weeks. I'm grateful to have a job, but it sorta feels like I'm back in the same place I was 4 years ago (which is why I went to law school), only now I have less support & more responsibilities. Trying to stay positive though.


1 comment:

  1. i am glad you found the new job, even if its not your passion. To be honest regardless of if its just a means to an end. Less worry about how to pay the rent, therefore less stress overall.

    ReplyDelete