Saturday, March 1, 2014

Mom's Day Out

For a quick update:

I took the Bar Exam on Tuesday & Wednesday. I feel better than I did last time. I was much better rested this time & wasn't fighting to stay awake while typing my essays, so that's was better at least. I won't find out the results until April, so I'm trying not to worry about it or think about it anymore.

Thursday was a good day. I got the chance to catch my breath by spending all day at the American Indian Law Review's annual symposium. This year the theme was "Tribal Sovereignty: A Global Perspective". Maybe I'm just a law nerd, but I enjoyed listening to different perspectives & getting to see some people that I don't get to see often.

That evening I attended that Native Crossroads Film Festival. We screened "The Lesser Blessed" & "Mohawk Midnight Runners". Both were excellent.

Friday brought court with Wasband. He had already been found in contempt of court, and was being sentenced. Going into the hearing, he was $45,341.11 behind in support (including interest). He brought a $3200 payment with him, expecting that to get him out of trouble. 

I turned the decision making for the case over to my attorney, since I couldn't make an objective decision. I had authorized a one month extension already & it clearly hadn't made a difference. So, I told my attorney to do whatever he would recommend to any other client. In the end, Wasband was sentenced to 90 days in jail, with a purge amount of $15k. That means, if he can't pay that amount, he sits in jail for the entire time. Once he comes out, he will have a $500/month payment toward his back support, in addition to his regular child support. If he doesn't make his payments from that point forward, the Judge warned, he's going to be putting himself in "the revolving door" of going back to jail over & over for non-payment. I admit, it was difficult to watch him being handcuffed & taken to jail, even knowing that it's because of his own choices.

I ended up at my parents' Friday night but, as it turns out, I can't pick up the baby until Sunday. Since the older four are more interested in hanging out with my parents & running around the ranch than spending time with me, I decided to take the day off. I've been so stressed lately & the kids have been so wonderful about tolerating me, even at my most bitchy. So, I'm hoping this will help return me to my normal self. I know they will be eternally grateful.

I considered hanging out with friends but, honestly, didn't feel like being around people. So, I decided to cross over into Texas to kill some time, while still staying close enough to run back if the kids need me (I'm sure I'll post about it in a few days, when I get to upload all the photos). It's been a nice day & I'm finally winding down. Tonight, I'm staying in a cute little bed & breakfast. I'm such a hard partier...I plan to participate in tonight's #NotYourTonto Twitter storm & read--the first book not law related since June 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time!! You definitely deserve the treat!

    ReplyDelete