So, since I leave the Wasband alone & have actually made sacrifices so that he can see the children, it is sometimes difficult to resist the urge to defend myself when I'm being accused of things. It has been said that Wasband's financial troubles are my fault, because I take all of his money. It has been said that I am trying to have him thrown in jail. I have been accused of keeping the children from him and interfering in their relationship. I was even told once by his extended family that they had been told that he was having financial trouble because he was paying for private school for all the kids. Only problem with that theory was the fact that the kids were in public school. Besides that, he had already stopped paying child support by that point, so I have no idea where his money was going, but it wasn't to me or the kids.
As for the complaints that I am trying to throw him in jail, that's an oversimplification. Yes, the judge has told him that she may throw him in jail for contempt. However, that is not me doing terrible things to him. He had court roses to do something. He didn't do it. The judge warned him. He still hasn't done it. If he doesn't, he may well go to jail.
His attorney has asked us to postpone the courtdate that is set for the 17th. According to the attorney, Wasband hasn't been working (which is not what he told me or the kids), but it supposed to start a job. He says he can pay the amount that judge told him to pay to avoid arrest in 2 weeks. So, I gave permission to postpone.
Now, before people start blowing up my inbox with reasons that they think I'm being an enabler, let me explain my thinking. If we have court the 17th, he will, without a doubt, go to jail & there would absolutely be no child support payment for the foreseeable future.
However, letting him postpone gives a minute chance that there could be a payment coming. In all honesty, I need the money so, if there is even a slight chance of getting the help, I don't want to close that off. So, pragmatically speaking, I'd rather keep the chance of getting something open a bit longer because, if he still doesn't man up, then the outcome will be the same in the end, whether it happens the 17th or next month.
Interestingly, the day after I confirmed with the attorney that we could postpone he hearing, I received an interesting call on my cell phone. It was from an investigation company, looking for Wasband's truck. Apparently, in looking for him, they found my information & weren't aware that we were divorced. They said that, if they were not able to locate the vehicle to take possession I it, Wasband may be charged for the theft of it. Of course, I don't have any way to know where it is, but it does make me wonder why he hasn't been paying for it.
I had been told that Wasband's girlfriend was driving him to work, the presumption being they were down to one vehicle. Now they clearly aren't going to have that one.
The house we had bought has now been foreclosed on. The truck he took from me when we started getting divorced is now getting repossed. So, everything we worked hard for for a decade is gone with the wind in such a short time. It definitely makes me wonder where all the money he makes goes, since he doesn't appear to have been paying any support or bills--other than rent & utilities, presumably.
I've been told disturbing things about what he is rumored to be doing with the money. As a mother, it does worry me, especially if he may start visitation with them. However, I know most of what has been said about me is patently false. So, I try to keep perspective & hope for the best. We'll take it one day at a time. We shall see if he is committed enough to actually follow through with his required classes & child support payment, especially in light of his potential lack of vehicle.