Friday, December 20, 2013

Holiday Blessings

I was brought to tears today by the generosity of people.

I got a cryptic call from my oldest son, today, telling me the school counselor wanted me to come by the school on my way home from work. He didn't know why.

When I stopped by, I was given an amazing surprise. The school has a program where they make food baskets for the students who's families are struggling, to make sure they have a good Christmas dinner. I hadn't been told about this before, but it came at an amazing time. 

The small raise that I got at work effectively caused my food stamps to be cut in half. It doesn't matter that my housing & child care expenses went up to absorb more than the additional amount of income. Those factors don't do a whole lot to shift the equation that they use to calculate need. This came at a very bad time, as I had just had to finance a vehicle because mine was breaking down (I cried after signing the papers, because I didn't want another bill to juggle). So, it seemed like, just when I could make ends meet, they moved the ends. 

Fortunately, I'm very good at juggling & have been stretching every possible penny & meal to make sure nobody does without. The food they gave us will help SO MUCH. In fact, because I was the last one to pick up, they gave me the four bags of groceries that they had left over. So, now, I have a big turkey in the freezer & a full cabinet of food. I couldn't be more grateful.

In addition, they sent a gift for each of my kids & one for me. There was also clothing for my son. Anyone who's ever had a 12 y/o boy knows what a big deal that is. They go through clothes quickly. 

I am so grateful for these blessings. As always, I'm paying it forward whenever an opportunity presents itself. I'd like to ask all my readers to do the same. There are people all over the place that are struggling in some way. Look at what you have to offer others. It not always money. It can be time or whatever of the cat resources that you, personally, have at your disposal. Please, just take what you have to offer & bless someone. It may just be a small sacrifice to you, but it might make a world of difference to them. 

If you don't do this already, start this holiday season. Then, try to make a routine of it. Find a way to pay it forward every day in some way. 



1 comment: