Friday, May 24, 2013

The Thing About Parenting...

The thing about this whole parenting gig is...that I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

The good news, I suppose, is that no one else does either.

It's not a science. There's no tested solution that will work for any given kid. It's all guess work, really.

Sure, there are ways that are likely to produce better results than others...but, even then, the best we can hope for is to hope that we don't screw up too badly.

Personally, I try to parent with the end goal in mind. To me, it's important that my children grow to be independent, kind, caring, capable people. So, I do my best to teach them how to make logical decisions, with the hope that they will be able to make good decisions as they get older & to recognize when they are in over their head. Likewise, I try to foster a positive, open relationship with each child so that they know they can come to me when they do find themselves in that position.

Will any of this work? I honestly don't know. What I do know is that the people that I would like for my children to turn out like were parented in this fashion...so, it's worth a shot. None of us will know how our parenting worked until the kids are grown...and it's too late to undo it, at that point. So, I try to hedge my bets & learn from other people's experiences.

The complicated part is, though, how to form the strategy to achieve the focused goals. Sometimes the answer to how to deal with a particular child is easy...sometimes it's not. This week, the only word I have for it is frustrating.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, this parenting gig is HARD! Hang in there and I hope next week is better.

    ReplyDelete