Saturday, January 5, 2013

Just A Thought...

I spent yesterday in court. On the drive home, I spent some time thinking about all the different experiences that I've had with the child welfare system.

I have now been involved on all sides of child welfare cases. I've been that foster parent, worried about what the court will decide & how to help a fragile child cope with the fallout. I've assisted with representing the best interest of the child to the court as the GAL. And, now, I have helped to represent parents who's children are in the system. Overall, my basic assessment is still this: the whole thing sux. No matter what happens in the end, it's all just an attempt to make the best out of a lot of bad. Even when things "work out" there's still a child who's been hurt.

1 comment:

  1. But having people like you now working in the system who recognize that, is what makes it just a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete