Sunday, January 6, 2013

Miracles do happen...

It seems, when I am about to lose all faith in humankind, the powers that dwell in the universe sees fit to let me witness something wonderful so that I can keep going just a little further.

Today is my friend, Jen's, birthday. Jen is an amazing, wonderful person whom I became acquainted with online many years ago. She helped me when I was doing research about adoption for an undergrad project. She talked me through the dreadful process of being certified as a fost/adopt parent. As I navigated the tumultuous waters of helping a frightened, hurting toddler transition into my home, Jen was there for support. She gives so much to others and I can honestly say that I am a better person for knowing her. Through the years that I've known her, I have celebrated the triumphs of her family and cried many tears for the sorrows. Today, though, there are happy tears. A miracle has happened and Jen received what I would guess she would say is the best birthday present imaginable...her baby has returned to her!

Some of my readers are familiar with her, as I link to her blog. The short version is that Jen became the caregiver for an amazing baby girl quite unexpectedly. I remember when she told me about bringing her home. We discussed the possibility of what could happen if this sweet baby girl's family suddenly decided to take her back and cut contact. Since there was no legally binding arrangement, we knew it was a possibility and we discussed it many times. However, being the amazing person that she is, Jen took the risk because she knew that this child needed her. Not only did she care for and nurture the baby, she became a mentor to the family and supported them in so many ways. However, about a year later, the family ended the arrangement. Just as suddenly as her sweet baby girl had entered Jen's life, she had now been ripped away.

The years that have passed since have been a long process of grief. Like many of Jen's friends & family, I have watched as her family has gone through this. Many tears have been shed and many prayers have gone up for her family, and for the little girl who's future seemed uncertain. I don't want to tell too much of a story that isn't mine to share. However, you can look through Jen's public blog to get a sense of the overarching story. The important part for me, today, is that they are together again. The fact that it is on their shared birthday makes it even more amazing. Since losing her baby girl, birthdays have been difficult. However, over time, things got somewhat better...or more tolerable, at least. Today, though, was filled with joy & laughter as they spent time together. Today I shed happy tears for them both & send up many prayers that things will continue to move in a positive direction for them both. Much love to Jen's entire family!

1 comment:

  1. I think we all gave a cheer today to see them together again!

    ReplyDelete