Saturday, October 20, 2012

Runaway

Maybe things aren't going as well as I had thought.

I don't know what happened, really. The kids have been doing wonderfully. They love their schools this year and had seemed to be more settled. They've been really excited about me graduating and we've been discussing the possibilities that the future may hold.

Then, 20 minutes ago, I was awakened by the doorbell. I had fallen asleep with the baby, as I am perpetually exhausted and, while I slept, my 9 year old had packed some things and ran away from home. Apparently he was distraught about missing our old life, and thought he could hike back down there to see his grandparents. It's not that he doesn't want to be with us, he tells me, but he misses them and he wants to see his dad.

Fortunately, a woman from down the street (also a mother) saw him and brought him home. So, he is home safe.

I am at a loss as to how to deal with this. I completely understand how not knowing how to deal with overwhelming emotions can make a kid want to run. After all, I did it myself. However, I firmly believe in dealing with the root of an issue. Unfortunately, the root of this issue seems to lie in his father's lack of involvement in his life. Last night, the kids got a phone call from him for the first time in weeks which, I'm guessing, is what starting this emotional volcano bubbling.

Desperately. That's how much I'd like to take their pain away. I know the divorce shattered their world. It shook mine to the foundation so I can only imagine how that must feel to a child.

Lost. That's how I feel. I don't know what to do here. The kids & I have been surviving this but, every time I think we're moving over into thriving, something knocks us back down.

I don't know what to do...

1 comment:

  1. oh Summer. I wish I had a magic-fix it solution for you.

    ReplyDelete