Saturday, October 13, 2012

Oh Happy Day

Today, like most days, hasn't been as productive as I would have liked. However, I am so happy because my strawberry plants came in the mail today. It rained all morning, so the ground was easy to break up & we put them all in the ground. We chose a location that has enough sun, but used to be a flower bed, so that we weren't disturbing the lawn. Hopefully, by doing that, the owner will leave the plants here after we move and the next renters will get to enjoy them.

The kids are so excited about growing some of our own food again. They were incredibly eager to get out and help be make our little strawberry patch. I think that, in some ways, it reminds us all of when our life was more settled & makes this place feel like a home instead of just a stop on the ride.

Next on the list is procuring some blueberry & blackberry bushes.


Another project that I managed to accomplish, was making my daughter a skirt. We started with a shirt that had gotten too short & I found a pair of jeans with the knees ripped out. It was relatively easy construction. I actually wanted to make it a bit fancier. I had planned a lettuce edge at the hem, to make it flippier, but my sewing machine needs to be worked on so it couldn't manage a zig-zag stitch.

So, in the end, we decided to just do a basic design. The jeans are a size larger than she normally wears, but have an adjustable waist that draws up small enough to fit her. So, I decided to make the skirt hit below her knees in order to accommodate growth without getting too short. She should be able to wear it for a very long time. Honestly, the fabric will probably wear out before she outgrows the thing. Even though it didn't turn out quite like I had envisioned, she loves it and that's what matters.

I apologize for the terrible photo, but she didn't want to be still. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment