Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Matter of Public Record...

Lately, my daughter has been asking a lot about her little sister. They are 2 years, 9 days apart in age. Unfortunately, they haven't seen each other since the baby was a couple months old. Shortly thereafter, the baby went to live with Grandma. Grandma had been coming to visit my daughter but, once she had the baby to take care of, she quickly lost interest and never showed up for any visits or tried to contact her in any way.

Over time, we've talked about her sister and the limited information that I have about her. Lately, though, my daughter has been particularly interested in the possibility of actually having visits with her. I truly didn't think this was within the realm of possibility. However, out of curiosity, I did something that I haven't done in a long time: I searched public records for Grandma. I almost wish I hadn't...

Sometimes I'm glad that public records are so easy to access, but sometimes they just cause more anxiety...

Apparently, last month, Grandma was arrested for domestic violence. She spent several days in jail before bonding out. I had always worried about the baby (I still call her "the baby", even though she is almost 5 now), but I had hope because I was being reassured by cps that Grandma was doing well & staying sober. Now, though, it's pretty clear that she's not doing so well. I have no way to know if the baby is ok, or if she was involved in the incident. The not knowing is terrible.

I hope & pray she is safe.

1 comment: