Monday, September 24, 2012

Virtual globe-trotting

Today my friend, Marsha, introduced me to a program called Little Passports, that gives kids fun ways to learn about other countries. Sort of a virtual world tour, over a series of months.

I LOVE the idea. It reminds me of some of the projects that I used to do when I homeschooled my children. Unfortunately, though, at this point I am not able to fit this particular program into the budget. However, I am going to attempt to pull together something that has a similar effect.

So, today we are starting our new experiment. We signed up with Postcrossing. This site allows you to send and receive postcards from all over the world. I chose this because my kids have developed a fascination with postcards, thanks to my world traveling sister, who sends them postcards from every country she visits.

We got our first address to send to today. The game-plan is to spend time learning as much as we can about each country or city that we send to or receive from. We have requested that postcards sent to us reflect something that the sender wants us to know about their part of the world, or the people that live there. It is still to be determined how further investigation will happen, whether mostly online or in the library. I suspect that it will vary depending on the place and the availability of the information. Obviously, as we repeat places (which would seem inevitable) we will learn even more in depth information about them.

In any event, it seems like a fun project that we can share that will expose them to so much more of the world than I am able to take them to witness first-hand at this point. Hopefully, at some point, though, we can actually go visit some of the places as well.

I'll try to keep you updated on our virtual globe-trotting.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of the postcard exchange and have signed Liam up for it! Maybe the stars will align, and I'll get matched up with you ;)

    ReplyDelete