Monday, August 27, 2012

Maybe there really is a light at the end of the tunnel...

For the past couple weeks, I've been fielding phone calls and emails concerning admission to candidacy deadlines, graduation requirements, job placement possibilities, and all the other things that come with completion of law school. It's almost starting to feel like it's really going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, it still seems surreal & distorted in a very Salvador Dali sort of way; but it is starting to come into focus. I've given up a lot for this, and so have those that support me. A friend keeps telling me, "it will all come back to you in a good way..." I sincerely hope that is the case.

I know deep down that all this hard work will be worth it in the end. Not only in the standard of living for my family, but also in the example that it sets for my children. I pray they follow it and chase their dreams.

Maybe there really is a light as the end of this tunnel. Before now, it seemed all I could see was a lot of darkness...but it's starting to feel like I'm really getting somewhere. I actually complete my law degree in December, but I won't be graduating until May. This is because I am working on a dual degree; the J.D. and a Master's in Native American Studies. I was an NAS major the first time I went to college, but had to leave it behind when I dropped out to have my first son. So, in one way, the dual degree is sort of completing what I didn't finish before. Also, at some point in my career, I would like to practice tribal law. So, I have completed the requirements for a Certificate in Native American Law and am pursuing the MA NAS in hopes that in makes me more marketable for tribes that are looking to hire attorneys. Even if it doesn't give me any edge of the JD, the experiences that I've gained and the amazing people that I've met along the way make it worth it.

I feel like I'm almost to the summit & it will be downhill once I reach the peak...

2 comments:

  1. I know you have worked so hard and I am SO proud of you. You are such an awesome person and you are going to be one kick ass attorney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations girl! You have rocked through everything you have set your mind to. As a mother, and as a *cough* classmate...some years back, I am proud of you and for you! I am reading your blogs for the first time today..and you are such a pillar of strength, I know that your children will inherit what you instill in them, and what they see "Mommy" accomplishing! Continue to strive for the top of your dreams for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete