Sunday, August 19, 2012

Growth & Change

Back to school is upon us.

Tomorrow is my first day of class for me. The Big's schools begin on Wednesday. Time marches on & it moves way too fast.

There are moments when that make me pause for a moment & just realize how quickly my children are growing up.

Tonight, I heard probably the most adorable excuse from a child trying to delay bedtime. "Momma!" (In the most urgent voice that a 6 year old can feign) "The light on the fish bowl isn't changing colors anymore!"

Of course, this just meant that the setting had been changed so that it stayed one color, instead of scrolling through the color settings. A simple fix, but it made me remember the first time she came running in my room, calling me "Momma". It doesn't seem like that long ago, but it has been a few year...and few years that passed all too quickly.

It's all so bittersweet. I love watching my children grow and learn. Seeing them grow into the amazing individuals that they are becoming is incredible. However, I look at how much my life (our lives) has changed in the last few years. Adoption. Divorce. Losing old friends, gaining new. Death. Birth. So much change in such a short time. It all reminds me how precious and fleeting life is; and how important it is to relish every moment. On the other hand, it makes me sad that the Big's father is choosing to miss so much of it. No matter what, though, I am here for them. I love them unconditionally. I will always be here for them in whatever way possible. I am their mother.

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." ~Anatole France 

No comments:

Post a Comment